Borrego Springs, an Exciting Golf Journey
Borrego Springs is a census-designated place (CDP) in San Diego County, California. The population was 3,429 at the 2010 census, up from 2,535 at the 2000 census. Many residents are seasonal while others remain year round. Borrego Springs is completely surrounded by a state park (Anza-Borrego State Park, the largest of California’s State Parks).
The village of Borrego Springs has a pueblo-style Visitor’s Center and Chamber of Commerce near the heart of town. There are 2 shopping malls, several restaurants, accommodations of every kind and unique shops. There are no stop lights in Borrego Springs and night time lighting is kept to a minimum to protect the extraordinary magnificence of the starlit sky. Many describe Borrego Springs as a Palm Springs that existed 50 years ago.
A local landmark is the traffic roundabout between the airport and downtown, known as Christmas Circle. Every year in October, the community celebrates with the Borrego Days Desert Festival at Christmas Circle. The town includes a branch of the San Diego County Library.
Members of the Canyon Lake Association of Past Presidents (CLAPPS) had their annual away golf tournament recently at the Borrego Springs Resort. The group of 39 people included first-year member Larry Mensch and some of his board members from last year, as well as some of the Women’s Golf Club past presidents.
According to member Joe Kamashian, the tradition of this event dates back to 1982 when the CLAPPS had their first tournament. Aside from the obvious social benefits, the highlight of the event is to find someone to win the “Ugly Trophy,” which must be displayed prominently in their home.
This year’s winner was Past President Lee Lilly who beat the field with his low net score on the first day. Joe says, “Aside from a little wind, the weather was perfect, the accommodation were very nice, the banquet dinner was wonderful and a great time was had by all.”
Juan Bautiste De Anza was seeking an overland route from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. Proceeding west from San Gregorio, he and his party of 25 followed Coyote Creek and ascended Coyote Canyon. They camped the following night at the Cahuilla village of Lower Willows.
It was another hundred years before cattlemen began homesteading the Borrego Valley, in about 1875. The first successful well was dug in 1926, which quickly led to irrigation farming. By then, the town contained a post office, a small general store, and a gas station.